Breast Augmentation—An Introduction
If you are looking for a way to boost your confidence and improve your bust appearance, breast augmentation may be the right option for you. Find out more about this popular procedure so that you can make an informed decision.
Who is a good candidate for breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is utilized to increase the fullness of breasts. It is a good option for healthy patients who desire more full, larger breasts.
People often consider breast augmentation when:
- They have naturally small breasts.
- They have noticed that their breasts have changed over time due to pregnancy, breastfeeding or weight gain.
- They want their breast to appear more symmetrical in size and shape.
- They feel that larger breasts would improve their appearance and create a more balanced look.
If you are considering breast augmentation, your doctor can help you evaluate your options, determine what size is best for you and help you decide whether or not you should also include a breast lift.
What type of implant should you choose?
The two most common types of breast implants are silicone/gel implants and saline implants. Different types of implants have different textures and may require slightly different surgical techniques. In most cases, silicone/gel implants come pre-filled and the size cannot be changed. Saline implants allow the volume to be adjusted during the procedure. Each kind of implant will provide a slightly different feel and appearance.
Both types of implants have distinct benefits, so the best way to determine which is best is to schedule a consultation at Cool Springs Plastic Surgery.
What can you do to prepare for the surgery?
If you decide on breast augmentation, you will meet with your doctor to evaluate your health, take measurements and make decisions concerning the size and type of implant that is best for you.
Once the surgery has been scheduled, you will be given specific instructions, however, in general you will need to do the following things to prepare:
- Do not smoke in the weeks leading up to the surgery.
- Avoid taking aspirin and other medications that your doctor asks you to avoid for a specific period of time.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight on the evening before the surgery.
- Shower the day of the surgery, but do not apply deodorant or lotion to your skin.
- Make arrangements for someone to drive you home the day of the surgery and schedule some time away from work to recover.
To learn more about breast augmentation and your options, schedule a consultation at Cool Springs Plastic Surgery.